HOW TO USE THIS APPLET
- Shift-drag: Hold down the shift key, then drag the described object.
- Control-drag: Hold down the control key, then drag the described object.
- Control-shift-drag: Hold down both the control key and the shift key, then drag the described object.
Control and Keyboard Functions
The sliders change the parameters a, b and c in the quadratic function y = ax2 + bx + c.
- Drag the slider thumb to change the value of a parameter. Use the up and down arrow keys to increase or decrease the selected parameter. (Use the keys for fine adjustments.)
- NOTE: If a key doesn't respond:
- position the cursor in the applet frame
- click the mouse button
- try the key again.
- Use the left and right arrow keys to change the selected parameter. The selected parameter will have light blue slider gutters.
- Drag a slider scale to change the range of the scale while maintaining the scale length.
- Drag a location in a slider gutter towards or away from the thumb to change both the range of the scale and the scale length.
- Select the corresponding parameter button to enter a value for a parameter.
General graph area functions
- Drag the y-intercept to move the parabola vertically in the coordinate system (to change the value of parameter c).
- Drag a location along the parabola (other than the vertex) to vary parameter a or parameter b.
- Click and drag any location in the graph area (not on the parabola) to see the coordinates of the cursor as well as the coordinates of locations along the graph. Use this feature to predict:
- a y-value given an x-value, based on the horizontal position of the cursor in the coordinate plane.
- an x-value given a y-value, based on the vertical position of the cursor in the coordinate plane.
- Shift-drag in the graph area to move the entire coordinate system.
- Control-drag in the graph area, towards or away from the origin, to change the x and y axis scale.
- Control-shift-drag in the graph area, towards or away from:
- the x-axis, to change the y-axis scale.
- the y-axis, to change the x-axis scale.
- Select the "SHOW VERTEX" button see the coordinates of the vertex and the location of the vertex on the graph.
- Select the "SHOW x-INTERCEPT(S)" button see the coordinates of the x-intercept(s) and the location of the x-intercept(s) on the graph.
- Select "VARY a" if parameter a is to be changed when a location along the parabola other than the y-intercept is dragged.
- Select "VARY b" if parameter b is to be changed when a location along the parabola other than the y-intercept is dragged.
- Use the "RESET" button to restore the applet to the initial state.
RETURN TO GRADE 11 MATHEMATICS APPLET (WCP) SELECTION PAGE
RETURN TO MAIN PAGE