HOW TO USE THIS APPLET
The slider area
The sliders change the parameters m and b in the linear relation y = mx + b; the parameters m, x1 and y1 in the linear relation y - y1 = m( x - x1 ) and the parameters a, b and c in the the linear relation ax + by + c = 0.
- Drag a slider to change the value of a parameter.
- The left and right arrow keys can be used to change the selected parameter [light blue].
- The up and down arrow keys can be used to increase or decrease the selected parameter. (Use this feature for fine adjustments.)
- If the arrow keys don't respond, click the cursor in the applet frame then try again.
- Drag a parameter scale to "move" it. (ie. Change the range but maintain the scale "length".)
- Drag towards or away from a parameter thumb to "re-scale" the scale.
- Select the corresponding parameter button to enter a value for a parameter.
The graph area [y = mx + b and y - y1 = m( x - x1)]
- In ax + by + c = 0 form, the line can only be changed by changing the parameters.
- Drag the "dot" to move the line.
- Drag a location along the line other than the "dot" to change the slope of the line.
The graph area [ax + by + c = 0]
- In ax + by + c = 0 form, the line can only be adjusted by changing the parameters.
- Use the "RESET" button to restore the applet to the initial state.
- THE SHIFT KEY : Drag in the graph area to move the entire coordinate system.
- THE CONTROL KEY : Drag in the graph area towards or away from the origin to change the scale.
RETURN TO MAIN PAGE